Sunday, December 26, 2010

Need some feedback


For a few years I taught metalworking classes @ the Worcester Center for Crafts. I tried to talk the front office into starting some sort of "intro to welding" classes but they were hesitant about shelling out any cash for the new idea. I had students of mine ask me about welding often and could only turn them towards the local night classes at Assabet Valley Voc Tech. Well, now that I have a space that could work for teaching welding/fabrication, I want to get some feedback from the loyal people that look at and read my babbling here.

The two classes that I'm thinking of offering (in the beginning) would be:

-Introduction to MIG welding and fabrication basics
-Introduction to TIG welding

Classes would probably be 2 day weekend intensives that would have some sort of project intended to be completed by the end of the 2 days. I'm only at the beginning stages of laying out the classes so I'd love to hear what you think of the idea and what would make it really work for the students. Please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email at roche.special.79@gmail.com

Thanks!

11 comments:

AL-DIABLO said...

I PERSONALLY ALWAYS REALLY LIKE THE FABRICATION VIDEOS YOU POST. THINGS LIKE TANK BUILDING AND THE TAIL SECTION FABRICATION ALWAYS REALLY INTEREST ME-

luke said...

oi!!! rad idea. if i were anywhere close, id be there. but im not. so i wont. sounds like the ticket for people, like myself, who arent concerned with being certified or gettin a job welding. home welders delight.

Unknown said...

you really should put out some dvd's and sell them on lowbrow or something.

Anonymous said...

Hold a class for those who are around your area. Make DVDs for those overseas. Ehem..

It'd be a shame for aspiring welders not to learn from the best.

scrapmetalart said...

Sounds like a great idea.

Massic Effect said...

As a current welding Instructor at a high school I'm concerned that two days wont be enough time. MIG is pretty simple, but TIG is a bigger beast, we don't cover that till their in the 2nd year class. I suppose depending on the length of each day, it's possible. Either way you will have a blast. I have some simple plans for short projects, if you need any.

special'79 said...

Jmassic, I agree. The tig class would prob be more like a 6-8 week class once a week while the intro to mig class could be a 2 day intensive. I'd love to hear what kind of projects have worked for you in the past/present.

Johnathan & OWR, the dvd thing sounds interesting and I think the classes would definitely be suited better for local people.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a sand casting aluminum class too.

RedCon said...

This is a great idea, too bad you're about an hour and a half drive from me or I'd be in the first class! Love your stuff man, hope you can figure this out in a good way!

honky76 said...

go for it !

josh said...

i'd sign up just to be the class clown/screw-up.

Unknown said...

i will definatly want to take all these classes. i hope you can make it happen